Monday, July 18, 2011

PROMISES ,PROMISES

Two incidents over the weekend now have me thinking real hard. I must learn not to trust people easily.

Story one.  I was toying with the idea of meeting some of the  boys and girls which I have taught  when they were around aged 8 and 9. Now fifteen years later I was curious how they were doing ,how was they coping with working life and stuff like that. When  I put the idea across they all seems receptive to the idea and wanted (or at least that was how I perceive it) I put up the event on fb and only a few responsed and confirmed their attendance. It was posted a month ago, with a month's notice I suppose it would have allow them time to plan and scheduled their time right.?  Any on the day one girl informed she would not be able to make it due to her work. Now I have no problem with that since duty call. But the rest did not call and did not showed up. However one of the girl call to inform she will be driving from subang which is quite a distant from our meeting place. I really appreciate her effort.  When she arrived she voluntter to call the two guys up and guess what, one of them was at the stadium watching a football match.!  He had forgotten all about  the meeting. Not even  bother to appolozise. Guess I failed to teach him about courtesy. The other guy said he was on the way after the second call and when we had finished our dinner there was still no sign of him. Anyway I had a good time with the girl which showed up. She was so excited when she showed me stuffs she have collected over the years . She even brought along the uniform she once wore .Of course she was not able to wear them now, but  she just wanted to show it to me and to let me know how she enjoyed those times as a kid.  Unfortunately I did not take any photos during that night.  Maybe I was a bit disappointed and did not  bother to get the camera from my car. We talked for a couple of hours and she shared some stories about her life and family. They are too personal for me to disclosed here. I am touched and honour that she confided in me.  If you are reading this Esther, I want you to know I am honour to be your  former commander. Do keep in touch , and feel free to call me anytime. What do  I make out of this meeting?
For one thing I know girls are more appreciative and remember things in their life and show them by action.




Story no two. Someone from singapore contacted me and asked if I could lead her group of friends for a two days hike at Kuala Lumpur and she was willing to offer a token for my time as well as that of my friends as I indicated I will rope in two friends to help.  Since it was  a big group and I need some assistance for take care of the group.  We exchanged informations weeks before the event.  I have to rescheduled my time with my family in order to be able to assist this group. The first day I had to wake up early around 4.30 as I need to pick up a friend who wanted to come along plus the journey to our destination takes about 45 minutes to an hour and we were to meet at one of the restaurant there for breakfast. I had to be sure I arrive on time in order not to let my guest wait. First let down my helper overslept and when I called him up  he had just got up and so I told him to meet us at the foot of the moutain to safe time. Then when we were about to go, two girls from the group deceided they wanted to change to their hiking attire. So we waited for them. Then they wanted to grab something for lunch so we stoped at one of the petrol station and by the time they have finish shoping it was almost too late to catch the sunrise that was part of the programe.  The weather was not that hot, but the group was too tired to continue with their early plan to do two hikes on the same day. so I had to obliged them again to return the following day to  guide them on the second hill.  Taking care of a big group is no easy task as I have to ensure everyone was able to catch up and no one is left behind.  Day two came  and I did not see my friends who was suppose to help me. I gave them a call but received no answers.  Good thing I had anticipate such things will happen and invited another friend to come along.  After the hikes we bid goodbye to the group , minus  the payment as agreed. Maybe they forgot? So what do I tell my friend?

7 comments:

  1. I too hate such situations Johnnie. If they cant make it just say so, its not that we force them to come, right?

    Hope you're feeling better today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bro, story 1,normal lah, we are living in the time of "who cares" i attend or no attend not that i will get money,,hahahahah.

    story 2,never mind about being shy to ask,just ask,if it is promised as such,just get what is due,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,we have learned,haven't we?

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Hayley, I am ok. just feel dumb for doing all this.
    Eugene. story 2 . I am not so concern for myself,just my friend whom I am suppose to pay for their service. If I say I have not been paid too. will they buy it? they might be thinking I pocket all the money right? that's will not do any good to my reputation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear, I would be annoyed when promises are not fulfilled. Why make the promise when you have the intention to break it? Sigh....

    On the 2nd case, your kindness is clearly being taken for granted. Those are the people who 'chase away' all the good people in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yvonne,
    I have done what I have done out of concern. My conscience are clear. that's all that matters I guess.
    case two never mind. next time must learn to say NO I guess LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. this goes to show so many people doesnt understand/appreciate the effort involved in leading a trek.

    u're doing them a favor & not the other way around.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Anon 0941 for your comments.really appreciate your input. you must be a hiker too.

    ReplyDelete