Thursday, November 5, 2015

NOT A GOOD TIME FOR RUNS.

Ever since the haze hit Malaysia, a lot of race was cancelled. I was suppose to go for my first ever half marathon run(21km) .Since I missed the last standard chartered run last year and at the coaxing of my hiking friend to go for it at least once in a life time I signed up for the standard chartered run, and was actually looking forward to run, but this was not to be and the race was cancelled due to the haze. But surprisingly the runners still went there on the race day early in the morning to show support. I together with some friends turned up a few hours later to collect our medal(something I am not proud of)
This was not the only race that got cancelled, there were others which I did not signed up. My next race was the BSN race,which I signed up for the first time and this too was cancelled due to the haze.
The announcement was made two days before the actual race day that the race had been cancelled and medals to be collected on the race day.So instead of race the event was like a carnival .Took our medals and posed for some photos for remembrance.
Puma night run was my next run and since then the haze had gone away. so the organiser deceided to carry on the race. You will think everything was fine, but this was not to be. As soon as the flag off for the first wave at 7.10pm it started to rain and since it was just drizzling, the race was allowed to carry on. But very soon there was a heavy down pour and I could see lightning and hear the thunder. We continued to run until the finishing line,but we were diverted via another route. we did not see the finishing arch banner. Later we learnt the organiser had aborted the run during the storm and  the arch had fallen on one of the runner. No wonder we were diverted to another route.But why did not the organiser informed the runners that the race was aborted and requested them to turn back? They should know better that it was dangerous to run in such a weather. Anyway thank God there was not major inccident and all runners were safe. There were no reports of anyone struck by lightning.



standard chartered: Oct 4 2015



BSN night run: Oct 24 2015






running in the rain
the fallen arch


No comments:

Post a Comment