Friday, November 4, 2011

A LOOK AT INVITATION.

This post is just for fun with no intention to poke fun at anybody.

Senario one : you invited someone over for a drink or dinner and he end up picking the bill?
Senario two is more common:   I am sure most of us gets invited for Wedding, Full moon celebration and all kinds of celebration.  I am sure we give out Ang pows when we attended the functions right?
Have you ever wonder why?  I remember asking my mum when I was younger, but I forgot what was the answer she gave me.
Anyway it has become a norm that Angpow is the way to go whenever we are invited for a function.And for weddings you will note there will be someone taking note of the amount received from a particular person and the reason being, to keep track and ensure the same monetary value is given out when the time comes should they get invited by that particular guest. Not sure if that is the same reason they do for wake service. Why are we doing it. Is it because it is expected of us because every one is doing it? Or is it because it would be very embarassing if we dont?

By the way I had attended two wedding functions where the host insist of No Angpows and would be offended if someone actually tried to pass on the Angpow. The host was very rich . Have you ever attended  one such function before?


6 comments:

  1. Hi Johnnie ;)
    Yes, some relatives/friends insist no ang pao, but I'll still give or I'll buy a present.. If go empty handed, very paiseh la :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hayley,
    if really never give, sure they will talk one even though they say no need right? LOL I know some people really kia su one or pai kuan. bring the whole balation and when you divide wah low eh works out to be 12.50 . I actually heard someone making such a remark.

    ReplyDelete
  3. People have becoming more materialistic present days. I thought angpow is a token for blessing the newly wed/newborn/birthday boy/girl. Sadly the value in the angpow is being taken seriously.

    So far never attended any invitation which needs no angpow. Not many are willing to spend lavishly, not even the rich & famous celebraties, because they get sponsorship on the event.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yvonne,
    wonder how the kampung folks does it. Those days I think the neighbours just come in to help and after that they have a feast.
    The rich and famous when they do it will be for publicity when they request ang pows to be given to a such and such charity home and you can be sure the press are there to cover the event.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Johnnie, I attended one function before which strictly mentioned 'No angpow'. World change and people change, nowadays "It is the heart that cound" not work anymore. Too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sheoh Yan
    yes that is true. also because cost of living has gone up so much and people just can't afford to 'belanja' so it is actually the guests that pays their own food.

    ReplyDelete